Tuesday, January 24, 2012

NEWS and SOCIAL NET/ART and STYLE: OLFU - Valenzuela Celebrates Chinese New Year

The celebration is one day late but still, Our Lady of Fatima University, Valenzuela City Campus held an event for the yearly Chinese New Year. Lead by the College of Nursing, the event features a bright and cheerful atmosphere within the campus' Quadrangle.

 *Photo edited because I like seeing it have an old Chinese feast feel :))

My day started off when I reached the school late and that I didn't see how the program began. When I got there, everyone's waiting for the Dragon dance to start. Its been quite a while when the dance started due to some i-dont-know-what-happened reason. I was still able to record the dance in the midst of the crowd. *Warning: The Video is like a roller coaster ride (lol)


Booths were created featuring some of the Chinese tradition that we usually encounter. The booths are as follow: Photo booth, Food and Beverage booths - sells sugarcane juice, dimsums and tikoy (a Chinese rice cake), Wedding booth - invites student couples to experience a traditional Chinese wedding, Lucky Charms booth, Fortune Telling booth, Educational booth - teaches students basic Mandarin, and Poster Exhibit. 

I got the chance to take photos of some posters made by my co-Nursing students which cost me only 10 pesos (rofl)

Another highlight of the event is the Wushu exhibition by selected Nursing students. This is when the crowd started to be wilder as they cheer for their own section's representative and their friends. I also managed to get a bit closer to the center of the quadrangle to watch and record the exhibition. BTW, the whole Section 6 is proud for our representatives - Jean Cabungan and Jeremiah Bantigue (the soloist on nunchaku). See their performance below.


I went out of the school early waiting for my classmates to arrive so that we can look around the booths together, but duties are just another conflict in our lives. In the end, after reading posts from the others who made this event work, it was really an awesome day for all of us. Congratulations to everyone!


*Regards to:

  • Ms. Joan Dionisio and Ms. Fatima Lee
  • To my fellow class representatives
  • To the performers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment